Sunday, February 13, 2011

Proper updates!

HELLOOO!
I have exciting news to share (:
I have made my laptop/work surface much more ergonomic and user friendly!

Hahaha okay so you remember before, when I used to have my laptop just sitting on my desk? That was basically the way I used it for the entire Trinity year - just the laptop, with a mouse so I wouldn't have to use the touchpad-surface thingy all the time.
I had the worst backaches working at the desk for long hours like that, cos clearly I would have to hunch over to be at eye level with the screen, plus the entire laptop had to be painfully close to my eyes or I wouldn't be able to reach the keys with ease.

Check the first photo in this entry to see what I'm talking about!
http://21sas.blogspot.com/2009/10/sotohp.html

So okay, while I was home on my looooong break, I had time to think and realise that I could not tolerate this shiet anymore. So I planned out a new desk setup for myself that wouldn't cost me much, and that would be totally ideal. Things I needed were, a new keyboard (to separate the typing surface from the screen), a laptop cooler, some device that would allow me to have more usb port thingies, plus some kind of elevation for the laptop.

So a few days ago, I went out to look for the cheapest equipment I could find and did my best with what I had. And here is the result!!!


Total cost: 20AUD

The keyboard cost me about 10, and the 4-port usb hub thing cost me 10 as well.
I'd actually picked up a logitech keyboard that cost about 19, but then I looked around some more and found this one for just 9.96. It's a little stiff right now but hopefully it'll wear out some.

Heehee. The brownish shelves underneath are just old things I picked up in 2009, when I first arrived in Melb. I turned one of them over onto it's side, and stacked them up. Then I put some old books in the top and rested the laptop fan (from home) at an angle, and on goes the main piece. There was actually a proper laptop cooler in Big W going for 27AUD, on sale from 54. Not sure if I should get it? Though it would come in handy since the fan I have may not be sufficient. Plus the laptop isn't quite at eye-level for me just yet.. so I'm thinking of putting more stuff underneath to raise it higher. What do you guys think? any suggestions? hahah.

Okay well, there's my very primitive home remedy to desktop design! It's not perfect or like super pretty or anything, but I'm really pleased with it. It's a whole lot easier on the back than my last arrangement.

Anyway, more stuff to come okay! Love you guys (:

BYEEE

gretzels


4 comments:

  1. LOL looks cool Gretts!! Innovative stuff! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks! hahah it looks like it belongs on thereifixedit.com or something though

    ReplyDelete
  3. cool idea with the fan, sayang! love you!!

    ReplyDelete